Graduation Gowns: Recycle or Donate
While I was cleaning out my closet I came across all of my graduation gowns. I had saved all three; high school, bachelors, and masters. I tossed my caps in years prior, there was no way I was going to wear them again. In fact, I’m not even sure why I kept the gowns in the first place.
I wanted to get rid of them but didn’t want to simply throw them away, they’ll end up in a dump somewhere. So I thought I’d try to do something useful with them. So I turned to social media for suggestions. Here are some of the suggestions:
- Trash the gown session– I’ve heard a little about these. I read that the concept started because a photographer was bored with traditional wedding sessions, more here. I’ve also heard of people who really rip it apart… Either way, I really didn’t feel like doing this. (Plus, it leads to the trash).
- Use as dress-up clothes for kids– my kiddo doesn’t play dress up anymore, unfortunately. This may have worked a few years ago, but the outfit still would have been too big.
- Harry Potter school robes costume– I really like this idea, but I’m not sure I want to hang onto them until October and then MAYBE be a Hogwarts student for Halloween. I would be better off making a robe for Halloween.
- Donate to a thrift store– Maybe someone could use them for a costume.
- Check with schools -possible donation. This was my favorite option!
I contacted my alma maters and, sadly, never received any response. I was really hoping they could possibly use them. Bummer. Ultimately, I didn’t want to keep any of the robes so I ended up donating them. I just hope they don’t get thrown out and that maybe someone could get some use from them.
All were really great ideas! Thank you to those who offered up suggestions.